Ticks are small bugs but they can prove dangerous for your pets and even for you if you work in the field. When you or your family member goes to grass or wood there are chances that your body is attacked by ticks and this is true for your pets too. They can feel the pain but they cannot utter a word, thus it becomes tougher for them. Thus it is necessary to tick off pets. They are not available in every part of the country, but in most areas they are common. Thus, you must be careful about them, especially with your pets.
Ticks are dangerous
Ticks are harmful for your pets because they feed on the blood of your pet. A tick will take time around 3 to 24 hours for infecting the pet they are feeding on. They carry germs of diseases with them and when one bite your dog or any other pet; they may pass illness like Rocky Mountain spotted fever or Lyme disease. The result of this disease is that your pet will not feel good. Apart from that they will have joint pain, stiffness, and other health issues.
If you are worried about it, don’t worry. All you need is to know how to detect that whether there are ticks on your pet body and how can you remove them. The earlier you are able to remove them the lower will be the chances for your pet to get sick. Apart from that if your pet brings these germs home them you and your family member may also get affected by it. Thus, be careful.
How to check your dog for ticks
The first thing you need to do is check your pet for ticks before it enters your home after strolling in the open. You may try the following to be sure that the tick is not entering your home.
- To lower the chances of tick entering your home with pet you must give them a check before they enter your home from outside.
- In their fur put your fingers and comb it. Your main aim should be find out if there are any bums on the skin. The reality is that ticks are of different sizes. They can be very small or even big like grape. Thus, you must be very careful while you check with your finger. You must also be very careful about their body parts such as feet, around their face and neck and inside their ears.
- In case you do not find anything it alright, but what if you find a bump? Remove the fur in that place and check out if there are brown, greyish brown or black bug out there.
- In order to remove the tick off the pet you will require gloves, antibiotic ointment, rubbing alcohol and antiseptic liquid. Also you should have tweezers with the help of which you can remove the tick.
- Use rubbing alcohol over the area and then pull out the tick with the tweezers. Then rub some antiseptic on the area.
You are taking acre after the tick sets in the body. If you wish you can take prevention beforehand. There are devices which when attached to your pet, or even your body, ticks will not attack it. These devices leave ultrasound that is not audible either by you or your pet but affects the tick.